Saturday, June 21, 2008

Cause and Effect

When I was in sixth grade, all of my friends started shopping at The Gap.  I was too little.  About 4'8" and 100 lbs little.  I can remember wanting nothing more than to go to the mall and find something--anything--that would fit me, just in order to get that classic blue plastic shopping bag with three simple letters on it to use for my gym clothes.  I had to go to GapKids, where their bags said, well, GapKids.  And I didn't want to be a kid.  So I went to The Gap, bought a pair of socks and got my bag that I wanted.  And those socks, and the bag, were definitely worth the eight dollars spent.
For a while, my boobs were too big to get anything but a black, tan, or white bra.  It was infuriating to me that everyone else in the world got to wear pretty colors, lacy cuteness, and strapless shirts without bra straps everywhere.
I bought my first hot pink bra yesterday.  And a little nude lacy thing.  From GapBody.  And as I walked out of the store holding that classic blue bag, I felt a little like I had just gotten something so important to me that I wanted to dance.  I know it's just underwear, but it means so much more than that.  All this hard work is finally paying off.
I never get hit on at the bar.  Don't get me wrong, I don't really mind all that much.  But I just need to put it out there that it doesn't happen.  People that I'm with have been known to get drinks from guys that come over and talk to both of us.  I get offered shit.  Honestly, I've always been content to just sit with my beer and my friends and relax.
Last night at the bar, I somehow got 3 guys to hit on me (Ok.  2.5.  One was too socially awkward to do anything but ask me my name).  This, needless to say, was very out of the ordinary.  So I'm trying to figure out how and why--and then it hit me.  I met someone a couple months ago.  And I like him.  And I'm happy.  So now that I am getting hit on at the bar, I won't do anything about it.  But where were all this cute fellas two months ago?
It's kind of a law of nature.  Like all those guys who made you miserable and heartbroken and how they somehow seem to come around again wanting more right after you find someone new and wonderful.  It's inevitable.  Or maybe it's just the pink bra.

No comments: