Thursday, November 27, 2008

Dear Sally,

I haven't watched "Little Women" in years.  In high school, me and my friend Jo were obsessed with it (and yes, her real name was Jo).  We would quote it and talk about our need for a Laurey as though we could, someday, transport back to the times when people not only wrote letters, but left fruit in mailboxes as a sign of flirting.
The music started on the DVD (if you've seen the movie, you would recognize the music--or maybe it's because I've seen the movie ten thousand times), and I just went completely emotional.  I decided that this would be a good time to break out my memory box that I've been contributing to since high school--because, hey, I'm already a mess, why not go ahead and help the cause.  Apparently, I have kept everything.
I haven't looked in there in a while.  I used to save every movie stub from movies that I went to with boys I liked who didn't like me (who wouldn't want to be just friends with that hot guy that you sat next to in Acting 100?), now, as soon as it ends, I throw away everything.  I found more important things in there though.
All of these letters from my sister that I didn't remember existed.  I don't remember getting half of them (thank you very much mood stablizers and anti-depressants).  Letters from my best friend who, although she had problems of her own, took the time to actually mail letters to check up on me (remember when people mailed things?)  I kept the business card that she gave me with the title of a book that I had to read written on the back.  It was when we first met, and I can't believe I still have it.
Among other things:  the phone number for my friend (read: crush) at the time who was studying abroad, pictures of children I have taught over the years, note cards from flowers given  for shows I was in, and cards--piles and piles of cards from people I know and hardly know.
There are people who have seen me at my lowest (and this, this moment, is not it).  There are people who have seen me at my best.  And there are people who don't care either way--as long as I'm doing what is best for me.  
You realize, over time, that there are 3 categories:  friends, acquaintances, and family.  If you're lucky enough, your family is amazing, your friends are a part of your family, and your acquaintances, well, they change daily....

No comments: