I pretended that I had my shit together. Little Suzie Homemaker who could cook, work, and go to school in one quick swoop. And I could also charm the pants off of his friends. The real me is the one who, out of laziness can stick some spaghetti in to reheat and burn a squash (and still eat it). The real me doesn't clean for weeks and then has a nervous breakdown over that one last magazine piled up--and throws everything away in a four hour cleaning spree.
I felt like I could be perfect with him. And it was exhausting. I had a panic attack once a week. What if the real me wasn't good enough? What if my humor was too off-center? What if he didn't like the real me and left me? What if he left me anyway?
I guess I want another chance, in a way. I am better than who I was pretending to be. So they can tell me to be careful. They can tell me that I am not good at second tries at friendship. I don't care. I would rather have someone walk away from the person who I am, the person I love who I am, than to think that I am someone who I am not.

No comments:
Post a Comment