Allow me, for a minute, to get on my soapbox about why I am the way I am about food. For those of you that don't know, I am a vegetarian. It started at work with a very smelly meat grinder. I stopped eating red meat. Then I stopped eating chicken. Then pork. Then seafood. I'm pretty sure that eventually I will stop eating all together.
When I was in college, I would eat the worst shit. I'm sure we all did. If it was fast food and fried to a crisp, I would love it. Even a trip to the doctor to find out that my cholesterol had gone through the roof didn't stop me. But I was always sick, I felt gross, and looking back at pictures, I was not looking good.
About three years ago, I started reading up on food additives and why they are put in. I cut out a lot of food. So, for the past three years, I have lived without high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. Just amuse me for a second and think of what corn syrup is. Then think: high fructose--meaning, high sugar. Then vomit. I don't know about you, but I just don't want it in my body. It's actually banned in Europe. But in America, hey, it's all good. And did you know that your body can actually not break down anything made with partially hydrogenated oils? They make you eat more and they slow down your metabolism. Yum.
So about the same time that I found all this out (I was still a meat eater at this point), I started thinking about all the hormones that we find in meat now. The manufacturers put them in the animals to get more meat for a cheaper price. But if these hormones are making animals bigger, what do you think they are doing to your body? I don't know if it's proven or not, but just the idea of having all these hormones and antibiotics unwillingly put into my body isn't something I'm thrilled about. So I started eating only all natural meat.
Eventually, I cut it out completely. And you know what? I feel so much better for it. I have so much more energy. My hair is healthier. My skin hardly ever breaks out. I just feel healthier.
So when I hear the words "I can't date a vegetarian", it makes ME weirded out. Because you can either have me as a vegetarian and happy and healthy, or you can have the meat-eater version of me--run-down, overweight, and just miserable. It shouldn't be about (and, yes, I know it really isn't) any of this. It's such a cop out. I am the healthiest version of myself right now.

No comments:
Post a Comment