Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bonita.

It seems to me that the more I date, the more I figure out what I like and what I don't like--which I guess is the point.  I find that in general, guys are pretty basic.  So-and-so reminds me of the other one and their personalities collide.  It's this great feeling to be able to look back on it all and see the positive.  To let go of the obsessive tendencies and just be.
In a way, no matter how much I hate dating (and I mean the heartache of it all--the not knowing), as we grow up it seems to be more fun.  I don't care so much about the outfit and the lip gloss.  I would take running down a wood plank boardwalk in the middle of the swampy woods only to be caught and wrapped in his arms than have awkward conversation over dinner any day.  Although dinner doesn't hurt.  The feeling of it seems to matter more than the actual date.  And it just.  feels.  good.
I start to see traits of people that have been so important to my "dating" life.  And I start to find out whether these are traits that I want to have in my life.  It's funny to me that I can look back at past relationships and see things that I absolutely loved about them.  Things that used to hurt to think about now make me smile.  And when I start to see all those little pieces of humanity and thoughtfulness come together to make a single person--I guess that's when you know.

No comments: