Monday, November 19, 2007

1.5 Dates

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I feel the need to preface this blog with the realization that I haven't written anything in over a month. I couldn't think of a good reason why I hadn't, and then I realized: I only write when things are shitty. When things are really bothering me you'll find me in my room with my most depressing music playing loudly, while I type something to send out into the world, with the hope that someone will feel the same.
That being said, things are going really well. I leave my job everyday with a smile on my face as two 3-year-old boys shout "Bye-bye milk-face!" or some other term of endearment (it is endearing, trust me...), my favorite roommate is back from her summer away, my partner in squaredness is now residing about 40 minutes away via subway, and my boys in pinstripes are eight games ahead. I haven't felt this settled in years, honestly.
As far as dating goes in this life of mine, I haven't had the best of luck. I rarely leave a job without dating someone in the aftermath, I date friends and lose friendships in the end, I get so hung up on people that I let all the good ones pass me by.
So, as you can expect, when I received a message on this fool website the other night from an attractive boy (yes, trust me, 30 year-old males are still boys) with good taste in music, I wondered to myself, "Self, CAN things really get better? If I meet this boy, is there a possiblity that it could work?" As I sit typing this, all I can think is: No, things obviously can't get better. Not right now.
I had no intentions of doing the whole online dating thing (well, not a month after cancelling my match.com subscription--which, by the way, is a good investment for those in need of dinner and drinks bought for them) and I still don't. I'm swearing it off. Because they will always: a) live with their parents at 32 all the while claiming that they are living with roommates b) be unemployed c) have a lisp d) have an extra piece of skin on the middle of their forehead that you can't see in the picture but will still be brought up in conversation five years later as the "uncircumsised forehead" by your friends who saw it first hand.
I'm done with all the pinning. I'm done chasing things that don't belong in my life. I'm happy to report that I am indeed happy. I'm more than happy to say that I got asked on a second date by someone that I was actually interested in this week, something that hasn't happened in a long time. And to just show you the way that this life of mine works, I'd also like to add that he's leaving the country tomorrow. Perfect.

No comments: