Monday, November 19, 2007

The One You've Been Waiting For

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

We know how it goes. It always starts off good. You have this hope that this time will be different, while in the back of your head you prepare for the worst. You meet someone. You do cute things. Go hiking. He cooks you dinner. You meet his mom. He brings his guitar over to your place along with an assortment of movies to watch and a CD that he made you a copy of. He kisses you goodnight and says "I'll call you". And you think to yourself. Maybe this is actually working. It's easy. And he likes me. And then you never hear from him again.
I want to know what happened between the guitar and the kiss and the week and a half after he fell off the face of the earth. Did I know him all that well? No. Did he know me all that well? No. But I feel like there must have been some kind of thought process between "I'm going to hang out with you for seven hours" and "I'm never going to call you again".
After how many dates are you actually entitled to the "I don't want to see you anymore" phone call? Because, I don't think I've ever actually gotten one. I go out with someone once, and then never hear from them. Or I go out with boys who are my friends. And then I always hear from them. Whether or not I want to.
Here's the thing. If you say you are going to call, then call. Don't say that you are going to call, give all the signs that you are going to call, and then leave a girl hanging for a week waiting for you to call. I have better things to do. I have better friends than you. And they actually call when they say they are going to.
A friend of mine is getting divorced. It's been 8 months and she's getting divorced. He used her. And none of us saw it coming. Even her. It just makes me wonder where all this "love" that I hear so much about is. It's like I can see it sometimes--in my parents, in certain friends, but I can't touch it. It's right there, and I can't reach it.

No comments: