Saturday, January 27, 2007
If you've ever had your heart broken, you know how it feels. First, you cry. Then, you get angry. Then, if you're me, you cry some more. A broken heart, they say, can be mended over time. I've gotten over it quickly a couple times, but mostly I choose to enjoy the long, slow burn. I never thought that a city would be able to break my heart. I fell in love with New York when I was six years old. Legend has it that I stood in Times Square with my parents and told my mom that I was going to live here one day. And she promptly responded with a swift, "Oh no you won't". There I go, proving people wrong again. I came two weeks after college and fell in love all over again. The height of our relationship was living on 81st Street. I ran in the park every morning, enjoyed my everything bagels with lite veggie cream cheese from H & H, and shared margaritas and swamp water with friends during happy hour and beyond. Everything was good.Life is a rollercoaster, though, and me and New York have had our ups and downs. I've thought of leaving many times, usually fleeting thoughts as I'm shoved into a closing subway door during rush hour, or not being able to get a taxi in the pouring rain. But when I lost my job a month and a half ago, it hit me that I really could just pack up and leave. I had nothing to hold me back. I really could do anything. Except that I had just signed that pesky new one year lease.It seemed no sooner I had just settled into my new place, though, that I came home one night to an unlocked door. And that's when my heart broke.I swore up and down I would stick it out. Getting my apartment broken into was just one more challange that I was to learn from and overcome. But then I realized that maybe it was something more than that. If I broke my lease, I really would have nothing to hold me back. I felt like someone was trying to tell me something.I looked for apartments and found nothing, granted it's only been three weeks, but I just don't want to anymore. I'm not moving back. There's nothing in the city anymore. I have my friends, and if they are my friends, they will stay in touch and come visit me wherever I end up. I'm staying with my family now, saving some money and inventing my next plan. I'm completely putting this in God's hands. I've been getting the feeling lately that I should have done that a while ago. So now it's up to Him. Where I go next, only He knows....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment